Thursday, February 21, 2008

Studies from Sittings...



Human models asked to sit for portrait studies either are friends and acquaintances or are hired professional models.
From my experience the hired model will endure longer sitting lengths than friends do. As well, professionals are so used to being looked at intensely for extended perions of time that of expression to take over their they tend to relax into poses to the point of allowing a range of expression in their visage as they sit, quite unselfconscious.
Friends and family, on the other hand, tend to pose, to present their best face - their "game face" - unless they don't invest greatly in the outcome, the resulting study.
One cannot let the expectations of the model influence the action of seeing, studying and responding to a particular human face or form. If the one drawing is not able to fully engage in the act of seeing and drawing, then the freedom with which to make marks is compromised.
This drawing of a young woman model allowed me enough comfort to "attack" the drawing with vigour and to use charcoal in a direct manner. 18in. by 24in. compressed charcoal on cartridge.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She has a far away look in her eyes, but her mouth seems discontent, as if she were thinking about how much she has to do still before she goes to bed. I'm sure I'm projecting!

Either way, you were able to capture a unique or not often seen facial expression. A great sketch to illustrate your point.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lovely sketch and wonderfully observant comments. I've found that to be so true. I get so excited when friends agree to pose for me, then feel somewhat disappointed when they begin. They lose that naturalness, that part that I see all the time in them and what compelled me to want to draw them in the first place.

Thanks for commenting on my blog, I'm so happy to have found yours. I've enjoyed reading your thoughts on visual language and observation and art making. Post more often!

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home